12th Mar 2018
Meditation is an alternative therapy. It helps lower blood pressure, reduces insomnia; helps people with asthma breathe more easily, and most importantly, relieves the stresses of everyday life. Meditation is a safe and simple way to balance a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states. It can benefit everybody.
The use of Meditation for healing is not new. Meditative techniques are found in diverse cultures around the world and have been used for thousands of years for alleviating suffering and promoting healing.
THE PRINCIPLE BEHIND MEDITATION
The underlying premise of meditation is to calm the busy mind. The intention is not to remove stimulation, but rather to direct concentration to one healing element – one sound, one word, one image, or one’s breath. When the mind is “filled” with the feeling of calm and peace, it cannot take off on its own and worry, get depressed or stressed.
When the mind is calm and focused in the present, it neither reacts to memories from the past nor is it preoccupied with plans for the future– two major sources of chronic stress known to impact health.
- Deep rest- lowers heart rate, and reduces the work load of the heart.
- Reduced levels of cortisol and lactate-two chemicals associated with stress.
- Reduction of unstable oxygen molecules that can cause tissue damage that cause aging.
- Decreased high blood pressure.
- Higher skin resistance. Low skin resistance is correlated with high stress and anxiety levels.
- Decreased anxiety, depression and irritability and moodiness
- Improved learning ability and memory
- Increased feelings of vitality, rejuvenation and happiness
- Increased emotional stability.