05th May 2018
- These sweet and juicy vine fruits are natureâ€™s cleansers and detoxifiers.
- Grapes are rich in antioxidant anthocyanins, which strengthen capillaries, making them an excellent food for improving circulation and heart health.
- They also contain cancer-preventing ellagic acid.
Grape Cleanser (Serves 2)
- 20 seedless grapes
- 3 celery stalks
- Â½ cup pineapple cut
Method:Â Blend in a blender.
Not just a refreshingly different brew, green tea is packed with powerful healing nutrients.
- Green tea comes from the same plant as ordinary black tea, but it is processed differently, leaving important nutrients intact.
- It is grown in countries with warm, wet climates such as Japan, China and India.
- The ancient Greeks called this tea â€œthe divine leafâ€, and used it to treat respiratory complaints, such as colds and asthma.
- This tea is a powerhouse of potent antioxidants that can help prevent disease and boost immunity levels.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that can lessen flare-ups of certain allergic conditions such as asthma.
- Green tea can help to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, reduce anxiety levels and also reduce the risk of heart disease.
In order to get the maximum benefits from this tea, drink it strong â€“ leave it to brew for 3 minutes. Green tea is available both loose and in tea bags – with natural flavorings such as lemon and apple, and herbs such as digestion-soothing peppermint. Green tea is best drunk without milk, you could add lemon or honey if you wish.
Whole grains are more nutritious than refined grains. Whole grain is the entire edible part of any grain. Refined grains go through a milling process in which parts of the grain are removed and therefore much of the fiberff and nutrients are lost in the process.
Look out for words such as whole-wheat, brown rice, whole oats, oatmeal, and whole-grain corn when you shop for grains.
Gluten-free millet contains more protein and iron than any other grain.
It can be bought in the form of grains, flakes and flour.
Oats contain more B Vitamin than wheat and it is one of the best sources of soluble fiber.
Rye is available in the form of whole grains, flakes and flour â€“ it is often used for topping loaves. Rye lacks gluten and is usually mixed with wheat flour.
Particularly high in protein, this exotic variety of rice has a distinct flavor.
Contains the protein-rich gluten and is available in many varieties such as wheat flakes, whole grains, cracked wheat.
This is the outer husk of the grain, which is removed during the milling of white flour, and is high in fiber.
Gluten is present in wheat, rye and barley. Some people are allergic to a protein found in gluten and this causes coeliac disease. In those affected, the lining of the small intestine becomes inflamed resulting in symptoms such as abdominal bloating, weight loss, skin rash or loose stools. Often, the solution is to avoid foods containing gluten â€“ and wheat is one of the main foods to avoid if, on a gluten-free diet.
This glycemic index (GI) is a rating of each food according to how quickly it affects a rise in blood sugar levels. The higher the GI rating, the more quickly it causes blood glucose levels to rise and, the lower the GI rating, the more gradual the rise in blood glucose levels. Often, used as an easy-reference guide for dieticians, the glycemic index rating also helps determine which foods are acidic and which alkaline.
Foods such as potatoes, white rice, refined breads, biscuits and sugary foods have high GI ratings. Whereas foods such as oats, pulses, whole-wheat bread and fresh fruits have low GI ratings.
Create goals and visions of success in what you wish to achieve. This is a highly motivational exercise that gives the present, a purpose.
- Sit comfortably and close your eyes. Think of three things that are important to you.
- Write them down. They could be improving relationships, career, health or personal development. Give yourself a realistic timeframe for achieving each goal. And be specific. â€œI want to exercise,â€ is not specific. â€œI will start jogging 30 minutes thrice a week,â€ is specific.
- Keep the goals in mind and commit yourself to achieving them. Regularly re-create newer goals and work towards them. This will give your life a definite purpose and feeling of accomplishment.